Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Friday, March 11, 2016

Warren

Meaning: (Gamekeeper Defender, Watchman, Park Warden, A warren was originally a game preserve. The word is now used to describe human dwellings that appear like the haphazard tunnels of a rabbit. Transferred use of the surname meaning “Dweller at or Keeper of a Game Preserve”. The name is derived from the Old French Warenne (A Warren, a Game Preserve). From an English surname which was derived either from Norman French warrene meaning "Animal Enclosure", or else from the town of La Varenne in Normandy. This name was borne by the American president Warren G. Harding (1865-1923). The name was used in the late 19th century.)

Origin: (Old English, Middle English, Old French, Old German)

Pronunciation: (WAWR-ən, WAWR-in, WAHR-in)

Gender: Male

My list is backed up for a while so I am finally getting to these names. Back during NaNoWriMo 2015 I had posted about it and a fellow blogger Apolla 13 commented about her experience with it and then told me a bit about the story she chose to write about. So for all of my posts for March I will be doing some of the names of her characters for the story she wrote for NaNoWriMo 2015 as I really like many of these names and have yet to add them so I am adding them now.

Apolla 13 one main character is named this. The twin sister of Warren is Cole *see on list of posts*. I always thought Warren was a bit boring or bland but the meanings are really cool and I never knew them before. I really love the meanings behind this word turned name. It has a nice old history of use which is great for a Historical Fiction novel.

I thought that this was interesting, “The word is now used to describe human dwellings that appear like the haphazard tunnels of a rabbit.” I’ve never heard of that before but I find that is intriguing and would be cool if used like that in an urban decay post apocalyptic novel.

I have been thinking of a story about a bizarre mysterious preserve and I would love to write about it and this would be a perfect name for that story, for either a character or maybe in reference to a game preserve. I am not sure I would use this name though as I don’t like to use names of people I know in my novels but I mean it’s happened before so it’s not a rule for me or anything.

I have an uncle named Warren but I always seem to say it like WORN like worn out but that’s probably because of the way I heard it. He’s from Texas and with the accent there and the Missouri accent I have mingled with the Texas one as my parents lived in Texas and I learned to talk from them seems to have mingled together. Either that or we have cut it down and the pronunciation just stuck. So when I say it like WORN I don’t even think of it being spelled Warren anymore which is weird. So I hope everyone has a better time pronouncing this like one of the proper ways listed above under pronunciation. I unfortunately will keep saying it WORN no doubt unless I retrain myself to pronounce it the proper way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com