Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Friday, December 28, 2012

Kestra

Meaning: (Kes: Falcon, Variant of Kestrel, Name of a character on Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Origin: (English)

Pronunciation: (Kes-truh)

Gender: Female

I was watching Star Trek: The Next Generation the other day. Counselor Deanna Troi had a sister that she never knew she had. When her mother Lwaxana’s psyche was collapsing in on itself Deanna went in with the help of another telepath. She found out her sister died when Deanna was just a baby by an accident. Her sister was named Kestra. I think Kestra is the cutest, unique name I have seen and heard in a while. The only meaning I have found is for the first part Kes. I think the meaning I found is strong. A commenter once said on one of the names I put on the blog that it sounded like a Star Trek name well this one really is. But this name can be used I think for other characters because it is not a name made just for the Star Trek universe. I think this can be used because it is a name that comes from another name.

7 comments:

  1. My parents found the name for me the exact same way! I love my name and people's reaction to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never actually heard of anyone being named this so it is so cool now knowing someone named their child this.

      So you are a Star Trek baby, lol! I say that about anyone who names their child after a Star Trek character. I had an Australian couple on Yahoo Answers tell me they named their baby Aquiel. I actually helped them find the meaning of the name so they didn't have to just tell people it was a Star Trek name, though they were not ashamed a bit. :~)

      I am glad to hear you love your name, it is a cool name.

      Delete
  2. The name Kestra was used just recently in a new episode of Star Trek Picard, Season 1, episode 7, Picard visit Riker and Deanna Troi. In that episode Deanna named her daughter Kestra for her older sister. I didn't put together until just now...From what i looked up, the name Kestra means star 🌟


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for commenting and visiting my blog! I watched Star Trek Picard last year but until seeing your comment I didn't remember this being a name I had on my blog, lol and it being from Star Trek and the meaning as related to the character Deanna Troi. When I heard the name in Picard I thought that's cool and sounds familiar and I had a thought to put it on here, lol! Thanks so much for sharing the meaning as well!! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure why it has me as Unknown but the above comment is from Cassidy, lol, the blogger of Character Names Galore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I figured out the problem with my profile saying unknown, lol!

    ReplyDelete

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com