Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Xavier

Meaning: (New House, Bright New House, Bright, Splendid, Transferred use of the Spanish surname derived from the place-name Xavier in Navarre. The name, which is believed to be derived from the Basque Etcheberria (the new house), was originally borne in honor of St. Francis Xavier (1506 - 52), a famous Spanish missionary to Japan and the East Indies and the patron saint of missionaries in foreign lands. Professor Charles Xavier is the leader of the X-Men (the good guys) in the comic book series.)

Origin: (English, Latin, Basque, Arabic, Spanish, French)

Pronunciation: (Zay-vyer, ehk-SAY-vyer, ecks-ZAY-vee-er, ZAY-vee-er or SHAV-ier, Go to this site and run your cursor over Xavier to hear how it is said: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=xavier&submit=Submit)

Gender: Male

I have loved this name since I first saw the X-Men movies years ago. I think Xavier makes a good given name and is an extremely sexy male name. I love the spelling and the meaning. I pretty much love everything about this name. I haven't used it in a novel yet but it is on my list of possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. This name just got picked as the most popular name from my own blog on Yahoo Answers! :)

    It's quite amazing how popular it has become in the last few decades - I can remember when this was considered an obscure and rather grim name, only used by Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree it has grown in popularity over the last few decades. But I am glad that it really hasn't become all that over used. Also there are many different spellings which is great.

    ReplyDelete

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com