Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Sunday, December 11, 2011

Victoria / Viktoria / Vittoria / Victoire

Meaning: (Victory, Victorious, Conquer, Victress, Female Winner, Feminine form of Victor,
Victoria was a goddess who smiled on the ancient Roman people for many centuries. Early Christians adopted the name, probably due to Saint Paul's praise of "God, which giveth us the victory". It was borne by a 4th-century saint and martyr from North Africa. Royal associations from 19th-century England's Queen Victoria and the four-syllable pronunciation give Victoria an air of dignity, formality and distinction. Though in use elsewhere in Europe, the name was very rare in the English-speaking world until the 19th century, when Queen Victoria began her long rule of Britain. She was named after her mother, who was of German royalty. Victoria's short forms and nicknames are very informal by contrast. Vittoria is an Italian form; Viktoria is Czech; Victoire is French. Many geographic areas are named after the queen, including an Australian state and a Canadian city.)

Origin: (English, Latin, Italian, Czech, French)

Pronunciation: (Victoria: Vik-TOH-ree-ə, vic-TOR-ee-ah, vik-TAWR-ee-ə (English), Vittoria: vee-TOR-ee-ah, vih-TOR-ee-ah, Victoire: veek-twAr, veek-TWAWR)

Gender: Female

I have used Victoria and Viktoria in several of my stories. I have always liked the name and when I was younger I had wished to have been named Victoria nicknamed: Vicki. As I got older I came to love my name but I still like Victoria though. It has a strong meaning and is a regal name and I love regal names.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com