Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sophia and Sophie or Sofia and Sofie

Meaning: (Wisdom, Skill, This was the name of an early, probably mythical, saint who died of grief after her three daughters were martyred. Legends about her probably arose as a result of a medieval misunderstanding of the phrase Hagia Sophia "Holy Wisdom", which was the name of a large basilica in Constantinople. This name was common among continental European royalty during the Middle Ages, and it was popularized in Britain by the German House of Hanover when they inherited the British throne in the 18th century. It was the name of characters in the novels 'Tom Jones' (1749) by Henry Fielding and 'The Vicar of Wakefield' (1766) by Oliver Goldsmith.)

Origin: (Greek, English, French, Spanish, Latin)

Pronunciation: (Sophia & Sofia: so-FEE-ə, so-FIE-ə, so-FEE-ah, soh-FEE-ə. Sophie & Sofie: SO-fee, SOH-fee.)

Gender: Female

I have used Sofia as the middle name of one of my characters. I like the sound of the names. They are lovely names. I think Sophie and Sophia might be used a bit in Literature but to me they seem a soft name and I don't see why anyone should not use them.


EDIT September 25, 2015:

September 24, 2015 my Brother-in-laws oldest daughter Shea from a previous marriage had her second baby, it is a Girl named Sophia Rose! So my congratulations go to Shea and Jake, who proposed marriage to Shea one day after giving birth to their beautiful baby girl.

As for the name it is beautiful and as you see I have used the variant spelling Sofia for one of my characters middle names. This once happened with one of my aunts, she named one of her twin daughters a name I had used for a character before, lol! That is really cool! They don't know my characters have the name but I find it funny when I find it out after their kids are named.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com