Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Friday, October 9, 2015

Ravenor

Meaning: (Rave: Raven, Applied as a nickname for a thievish or dark haired person. Nor: Light, The Light, Honored, Honorable, God is My Light, Mercy, and Pity.)

Origin: (Arabic, Latin, Old Greek, English, German, Dutch)

Pronunciation: (REYV-NAOR, REYV-NAWR)

Gender: Uni-Sex

I saw this as the name of a Trilogy of books and I liked the look instantly as I love names with Raven in them. I looked it up and saw it is a last name but I could find no definite meaning or origin so just like Gwen-Gana *see on list of posts* I looked up the separate parts of the name Rave and Nor.

So the meanings together in this name are interesting. The first part is dark and mischievous where as the latter half is light and pleasant and good, so a funny name in that regard. I can see a very mixed character with this name, I mean mixed in regard to personality and the way they handle themselves. I can see a mischievous thievish character that truly has a good heart but has a hidden reason for their fiendish pursuits.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com