Character Naming

As an Author naming your Character is an important step right after coming up with the plot. I am here to help you choose the right character name for you and your story.

Make sure your character name is Genre Appropriate. Make sure if it's a Historical Fiction novel or takes place in a real time period that the name was used then. Or if it's a fictionalized place then you can be as creative as you wish.

Just have fun with naming your character. It is after all your story.



Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Aeryn

Meaning: (Is an Americanized Celtic name meaning “Daughter of Ireland”, Ireland, Mountain of Strength, American spelling of Erin, Derived from the Gaelic Erinn, the dative case of Erie, which is the Irish name for Ireland. Though Erin is popular in England and the U.S, it is not normally bestowed as a given name in Ireland. Berry. Aeryn Sun is a character on Farscape a Sci-fi T.V Series.)

Origin: (Irish, Celtic, Gaelic, English, Welsh, American, Hebrew)

Pronunciation: (Air-un, AIR-en, AIR-in, AIR-ihn, EHRIHN)

Gender: Female

I was watching the Syfy Channels 20th Anniversary Special a few weeks ago. They were talking about toward the beginning the show called Farscape. I had never heard of it and so I did some research. It ran from March 1999 to March 2003 so it was explained why I had never heard of it because when it ran I was young and wasn’t into Sci-fi yet. One of the main characters was named Aeryn Sun (Played by Claudia Black). They were interviewing Claudia Black on Syfy Channel 20th Anniversary Special and below her name had the name of the character she played which was Aeryn. I think it is a super cute name. I have never been a fan of Aaron / Erin because it is so common but this is a super cute spelling. I would love to see and hear this name more often. It does seem very Sci-fi / Fantasy like but I think that’s why I love it. Some I have read have mispronounced this and I think that is ridiculous, how could you mispronounce this name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to have the most accurate Meanings, Origin and Pronunciations for the names on this blog. It is best though to do research into the names you decide to use for your characters as there can be errors on my blog. Or meanings, origins, and pronunciations I have not seen thus not been able to add to this blog.





Try some of the leading Baby Name Sites and Baby Name or Character Naming books as well.


The baby name sites below are where I collect many of the Names, Origins, and Pronunciations I use on this blog.

Baby Names Sites:

http://www.thinkbabynames.com
http://www.babynamewizard.com
http://www.behindthename.com
http://www.babynamespedia.com